Freshwater mussels: Search for resettlement habitats and evaluation of protection measures Süßwassermuscheln: Suche nach Auswilderungshabitaten und Evaluation der Schutzmaßnahmen (C 25/19)
You can download in the upper right hand corner of this webpage ("Veranstaltungsunterlagen"):
- The book of abstracts including all abstracts of speeches and posters.
- A zip-file with most of the full presentations of speeches and posters.
The workshop aimed to present latest techniques and methods for identification and characterization of suitable mussel habitats, identifying indicators for optimal habitats for resettlement of endangered freshwater mussels. To develop a more generalized decision tool it is very important to identify best habitats or analyze efficient and cost effective restoration measures to improve potential habitats. For the prospects of success to establish functional mussel stocks in natural waters suitable methods for evaluation of both, protective and resettlement measures are essential. During the workshop different approaches of a decision tool as well as evaluation methods were presented and discussed.
The workshop focused on following issues:
1. Adaptation of Freshwater mussels to their habitats / ecology of Freshwater mussels
2. Quantitative characterization and assessment / evaluation of mussel habitats
3. Nutritional requirements of Freshwater mussels
4. Selection of habitats for resettlement
5. Evaluation of resettlement activities
6. Significance of global warming for freshwater mussels
This workshop brought together scientists from different fields and gave rise to a discussion of strategies for protection and conservation of freshwater mussels.
The workshop was organized within the joint project ‚ArKoNaVera‘ (Implementation of regional protective measures and development of a new national conversation program for priority species: Freshwater pearl mussel (Margaritifera margaritifera) and Painter`s mussel (Unio pictorum). It is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety.
Further information: project website on freshwater mussels (ArKoNaVera)
The next international workshop within ArKoNaVera is planned in spring 2021.
Technische Universität Dresden
25.03.2019 - 27.03.2019
Artenschutz, Wasser, Ökosysteme